Ocius has partnered with the University of Wollongong Department of Marine Engineering to develop an advanced software model to estimate the fuel and cost savings resulting from usage of the Ocius R.O.S sail design.
Our modelling indicates potential fuel savings of ~200-1000 tonnes per voyage depending on the route and weather condictions. See below for more detail.
If you would like to model the potential fuel & cost savings available to your vessel/s, contact William Greene, Director of Ocius Technology UK at email@example.com
Basic Model Parameters
- 22 years of NASA Satellite/Buoy/Ship cross-calibrated ocean wind data at 10m above sea level.
- Any commonly used shipping route in the world
- Route broken into 800+ sections of less than 14 nm.
- Vessel travelling at 7 m/s = 13.6 knots
- Leaving on the 1st of July 1987, the energy saving of an entire voyage is calculated
- Leaving on the 2nd of July 1987, the energy saving of an entire voyage is calculated
- This process is then repeated for 8500 consecutive days, which is 22.5 years until December 2010
- Cost of Fuel Oil: A$720/t
- Surface area of sails: 4800 sqm
- Fuel consumption: 720g/KWh
- Return Voyages Included?: Yes
|Newcastle, NSW to Shanghai||Los Angeles to Shanghai|
|Fuel Savings||Metric tonnes||211-337||657-1051|